This long awaited book concerns the largest Jewish Cemetery in Alsace which has been in use since the middle of the XVIIth century. 5588 burials are registered from one hundred neighbouring villages and cities.
Our members Pierre Katz, Georges Halbronn, and Jean-Pierre Bernard had the idea in 2000 to publish this register which was deposited in the archives of the "Consistoire Israélite de Bas-Rhin" which accepted to be associated to this project. Cerf Picard, rabbi at Rosheim is the author of the first copy, begun in 1936, from documents as old as 1753. He worked on this until 1944 when he was deported to Auschwitz. After him, the register was held until 1980.
Abraham Malthête has been in charge of the traduction (from Hebrew and Judeo-Alsatian) and of the edition of the manuscript. The Introduction explains how to use this work. The first part provides a Chronological List of the burials. The second part is ordered according to the cities. A few pictures of the gravestones with their transcription and translation give an idea of the work which remains to have a total vision of the largest Jewish necropolis in Alsace.
A list of the villages of the people buried in the cemetery is given here
Publication of CGJ and Consistoire Israélite de Bas-Rhin, 2004, 342 pages with maps, color pictures and fac-similes of documents. ISBN 2-912785-29-4.